What it means for the Borders
As part of our commitment to the Borders, we will:
- Introduce new two and three-car new diesel multiple units (DMUs) for the Milford Haven to Manchester service by 2023.
- Create a true intercity experience on the North-South long-distance services, bringing 12 newly refurbished Mark IV carriages into use on Cardiff to Holyhead services via Shrewsbury and Chester.
- Invest in Chester Station in 2028.
- Introduce a new Community Rail Partnership on the Crewe to Hereford line. Three Community Rail Partnerships will be supported by the recruitment of a new Community and Stakeholder Manager and eight Community and Customer Ambassadors.
- Introduce new and reduced fares between Shotton and Chester (reducing seven-day Season tickets in January 2020) and Leominster-Shrewsbury.
- Provide ticket machines at more stations.
- Introduce a pay-as-you-go facility for users of our app from April 2021, finding the lowest available fares.
Train service improvements include:
- Delivering the North East Wales Metro by increasing frequency on the Wrexham-Bidston line to 2 trains per hour (tph) from December 2021, with fully refurbished metro trains.
- Introducing a 1tph service between Chester and Liverpool Lime Street in May 2019.
- Introducing a new Liverpool to Llandudno and Shrewsbury service (1tph) and Liverpool to Cardiff service (1 train every 2 hours), and a consistent 1tph between Cheltenham and Cardiff by December 2022.